Tuesday, August 4, 2009

S4 burning oil

Well, as it turns out it seems to be a fairly common occurrence with B6 and B7 S4’s.  I haven’t  yet discovered (or even searched for that matter) if other Audi’s using the same 4.2 liter V8 have the same issues, but it seems as if some people theorize that its the small engine bay of the S4 that might be contributing to higher heat levels and thus greater oil consumption.

Either way i had to put in 4 quarts of oil since the last oil change, which admittedly was 7771 miles ago.  So that’s 1 quart of oil gobbled up per 1942.75 miles.  Which isn’t exactly awesome, but not as bad as some people are reporting with 1 quart per 1000 miles!

I went and had the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube, which I am usually against, but these guys totally rocked it.  I watched them for the entire 1.25 hours and had them do the oil change in exactly the manner I wanted.  They drained the oil and let it drip for 5 minutes, then they ran a whole quart of penzoil 5w40 full synthetic through the engine, let that drain for 5 minutes.  Then they swapped out the filter with a cleaning of the filter housing to get all the old oil out, replaced the crush washer on the oil drain plug and filled it up with 9 quarts of Amsoil European formula (specifically formulated or so it says on the bottles for Audi’s and VW’s) 5w40 full synthetic oil.  They also filled up 2 Blackstone labs bottles for me so I can send this in to get analyzed.  I took some pictures of the plastic (fiberglass?) undertray to see what kind of oil residue is on it, to my eyes it looks like some of the oil is leaking and not necessarily all being burnt up.

IMG_0310

IMG_0304

So I am going to start a diary, (well a spreadsheet anyway) here in my Blog (which you will never want to look at, because lets face it, this is some boring stuff right here) to keep track of my exact oil level over the next 5000 miles.

Mileage

Date

Level

Conditions

42771

?

exact center of hashes

ice cold prior to start in morning

43530

?

Covers the first plastic tab

ice cold prior to start in morning

44634

?

In the center of the first plastic tab

cold, 5:30pm.  Hot day, but parked at 9am

44751

9/20/09

completely dry, added 1.6 quarts.  now 1/4 way into metal center section.

?

46440

10/28/2009

Added 1.45 quarts. Now 40% up the first plastic tab

?

46770

11/7/2009

7/8 up the first orange tab

sitting for a bit, engine warm, not hot

2 comments:

Steve T. said...

My friend, you always amaze me with your ways.....I remember your mileage notebook you used to keep in your glove box....something tells me you still do. BTW, how did that other thing go?

Mike G. said...

If you already know that none of us want to look at your oil consumption spreadsheet, why do subject us to it anyways?

All I have to say is that once you start collecting all those cars, you will need friends like me to help you drive them on the track. I'll be there for you.