Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Buttonwillow, a weekend of firsts!

VP__0765 

  • First time on track with the new e36 m3.
  • First time driving Buttonwillow in 8 years.
  • First time driving configuration 13CW (the NORMAL config).
  • First time having a mechanical failure that could have ended up in a AAA tow all the way home.
  • First time having something fly off the car whilst on track!

I also learned some interesting things this weekend;

  • e36 M3 stock sized brakes, even with updated hi-performance ‘street’ pads, fresh new rotors, and racing brake fluid (Motul RBF600) can’t put up with my heavy braking.
  • If your OIL PRESSURE light comes on, it can mean an oil pump is caput (BAD), or that the oil Pressure sending unit is caput (GOOD).
  • The E36 M3 is a pretty decent car.
  • Falken Azenis RT615 tires are ‘decent’, but only just so.
  • Speedventures track days are populated with a majority of highly modified, highly track ready, r compound shod, and crazy fast cars.
  • I almost actually LIKE Buttonwillow raceway.  I wouldn’t say I like it as much as Sears Point, Laguna Seca or Thunderhill.  but its MEASUREABLY better and more interesting than Willow Springs.

So about those firsts.  This was track day #1 and #2 for the new s50b30usa powered e36 m3.  (yes, I am a bimmer geek, its NOT an s50b30, that’s the Euro spec motor that made 46 more HP)

In my notes for the day I wrote “Feels sort of gutless, brakes are spongy and fading, and RT615s feel like crap”.    I sort of did feel that way on day 1, but by the end of day 2 I actually like this car a lot.  I will be honest and say that the 15 year old suspension definitely could use some replacement.  Its not in bad shape perse, for the street it would be totally adequate.  But on the track the car leans, leans, and leans.  Quick left right transitions make the car sway back and forth in a fairly pronounced way.  All in all the car is decent.  It feels a lot like the 1999 M Coupe I used to have (this is essentially the same engine, and the exact same front suspension setup, same pedals, etc.) and the 330ci.  I guess all bimmers from that era sort of feel the same, which is good.  Its what I am used to and like.

IMG_0491

No comments: