Saturday, June 20, 2009

Helmet beautification & the best rental car I have ever had!

IMG_0119

So I decided to spiffy up my helmet a little.  Not like it matters right now as I keep missing great track days because my car is still out of commission!  (that story to come later, I just don’t have it in me to write it all down right now)

Now on to the best rental car I have ever had.  I can’t believe I am about to say this, to admit that I actually like this car, but……  I do, I have to say, its sorted, the gearbox is pretty good (for an auto), the feel of the steering is great, the brakes are very communicative, and the chassis itself feels good.  The seats really grip you, and the inside feels like a cockpit, nice low seat, high dash, thick steering wheel, and its pretty easy to light up the tires and do a little sideways slidey slide even with a measly 215HP….  and this…. is the car;

IMG_0122

I really can’t believe I like this car so much, I have even been thinking “So, could I own one of these, or would I just be too embaressed?”.  Its a rental, and it has Sirius satellite radio, Microsoft Synch which hooked up via bluetooth to my iphone in about 2 minutes, and the ONLY 3 things I have to say as negatives are; 

  • There is this pervasive blue LED lighting everywhere in the interior that is a bit annoying, it comes from the cup holders, so i always think I just got a text message if my phone happens to be sitting there. 
  • Secondly, it really could use a manual gearbox, then this car would be incredible fun! 
  • Lastly the tires are woefully woeful.  They are these little bicycle tire 215’s in the front and 235’s in the rear that are too tall and too much designed for all year driving whilst mounted to a wood paneled station wagon.  That’s 8.46” wide compared to 10” wide on the REAL Mustang (GT500).
  • Oh yeah, one last thing, the entire tach flashes red when you hit the redline, kind of cool actually.

Here are some more pics your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0126

IMG_0127

5 comments:

supergoober said...

Damn, you've really lost your mind.

ThePerfectLine said...

I know right?

I actually look forward to getting into this car and driving it. I am completely amazed myself. I couldn't live with one eveyday, but the car is frickin fun to drive, and if it was a stick would be even more fun because it is sooo easy to get the tail out in this car!

Stephen said...

And that's a good thing?:p

Steve T. said...

I think the light up cup holders are an option.....and I do believe they probably come with a stick. You know, Ford's aren't actually half bad....we've got an 07 Focus and the damn thing gets 37 mpg...we barely had to fill up going to DC. Kind of why Ford only asked the Gov for a 9 billion dollar loan instead of begging and pleading for a bandage to stop the bleeding...We have a Ford Dealer near my house...email me your questions and we can go talk to the guy that sold us Cathy's car.

ThePerfectLine said...

The light up cup holders are part of the luxury pack and as it turns out you turn them from OFF to LOW to HIGH using an onboard settings controller. Not too bad actually, so they dont have to be in your face all the time.

I dont think that getting 37mpg has anything to do with getting or not getting stimulus money, every car company has a car that gets 37mpg, its that GM is about 97 times larger than Ford and ran their company differently, more than their actual lineup off cars. All American care companies are sort of the same when it comes to their offerings, except that Ford had the mustang which has been quite popular the past few years, and Chrysler and GM really didnt have a direct competitor to it.